Fairmeadows Foundation Primary School Equality Statement
Our School Commitment
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
· Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
· Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
· Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
At Fairmeadows Foundation Primary School:
· We do our best to ensure that everyone is treated fairly and with respect.
· We make sure the school is a safe, secure and stimulating place for everyone.
· We recognise that people have different needs, and we understand that treating people equally does not always involve treating them all exactly the same.
· We recognise that for some pupils’ extra support is need to help them to achieve and be successful.
· We do our best to make sure that people from different groups are consulted and involved in our decisions, for example through talking with pupils and parents and carers, and through our School Council.
· We aim to make sure that no-one experiences less favourable treatment or discrimination because of:
We welcome our duties:
· To promote community cohesion (Under the Education and Inspections Act 2006)
· To eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations (under the Equality Act 2010).
We also welcome the emphasis of OFSTED inspections on the importance of accelerating progress of pupils from groups who are underachieving.
As part of this we will:
· Outline how we have due regard for equality and how we promote community cohesion
· Publish equality objectives to show how we plan to tackle particular inequalities and improve what we do.
Our admissions arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate any pupils with protected characteristics. See our Admissions Policy for more information.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law.
We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.
The school has a full and separate Equality and Diversity in Employment Policy
Pupils are taught about Equality and Diversity in the curriculum. At Fairmeadows, children experience RSE and PSHE through Jigsaw lessons. These are age appropriate lessons and assemblies. See attached Jigsaw information about how we teach Protected Characteristics across school.
More information about our RSE and PSHE curriculum can be found on the curriculum pages.
Equality and Diversity also has close links to SEND and our Anti-Bullying Policy.
Fairmeadows Foundation Primary School Equality Objectives
The Equality Act 2010 requires all public bodies to publish equalities objectives and update this at least every 4 years. We also share details about how our school complies with the public sector equality duty and update this annually.
As a school we are subject to have 'due regard' in relation to the Public Sector Equality Duty. This means: